Commissioner Ward II (Liaison- Recreation, Parks & Culture Dept.)
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Irving received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Recreation and Physical Education from Howard University and a Master of Arts Degree in Recreation Administration from the University of Maryland. She worked for the District of Columbia Parks and Recreation Department in various positions, Fort Myers Youth Activities Program as Director and Walter Reed Army Medical Center as Director of the Community Recreation Division. Irving has held elected and appointed positions in several professional organizations. In 2011, she retired from Walter Reed Army Medical Center. She also retired from the United States Army Reserves as a Master Sergeant in 2006. Irving is a proud member of First Baptist Church District Heights (Head of the Youth Department), a member of the Prince Georges County Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, a member of the National Council of Negro Women and a member of Suitland Chapter 939 of AARP (legislative committee member).
Irving and her daughter moved to District Heights in 1989.
Prior to being elected as Commissioner, Ward II, Irving was actively involved in the community as indicated below:
- President of the District Heights Recreation Council (Appointed by Mayor Walls)
- Member of the District Heights Citizen Coalition
- Member of the District Heights Senior Citizen Building Committee
- Volunteer with the District Heights Recreation, Parks & Culture Department (Summer Camp and events)
- Volunteer at Woodland Springs Apartments (Food Giveaway Program)
- Volunteer with the District Height Community Education Advocates
- Assisted the District Heights’ Vice Mayor with special events for senior citizens